This week (Sept 9) on Shabbat Night Live, Luke and Kayte Abaffy’s interview with Michael Rood for their groundbreaking documentary, The Way, brought the story of countless believers around the world who have traded Easter ham for Passover lamb and Sunday church for Saturday Sabbath.
Behind The Scenes with Michael Rood presents, for the first time, the raw footage of that interview — if you appreciate Michael Rood’s amazing teachings, you’ll love this candid and endearing series!
Watch the episode — included on this blog post.
While you watch, consider the questions below. The timeline for each discussion topic in the video is noted on each question. Post your answers in the comments section, and let’s get some discussion going!
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 17:00) How has our present-day mass media been a mixed blessing for contemporary believers who seek to evangelize to the greatest possible extent? What is the most effective spiritual strategy for grappling with the outpouring of hatred that is often directed at religious broadcasters by atheist organizations and individuals who utilize and exploit the same types of media?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 21:00) How does the pervasive ignorance of many Gentile believers of the history and diversity of modern Judaism serve to impede their own understanding of Yeshua’s teaching regarding spiritual authority? How have many otherwise curious and searching members of the faithful been misled by an ill-informed approach to salvation based upon a superficial reliance upon expressions from the New Testament which lack proper historical context?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 25:00) Similarly, why do many professed Christians casually shift their denominational loyalties in the course of their faith lives yet shun any awareness or deference toward the Jewish Feasts as part of their ethos as believers? How might this be viewed as contempt for the past as well as an example of Western culture’s persistent skepticism toward perceived superstition?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 29:00) As with the distinction that is maintained by most evangelical Christians between the Old and New Testaments, how is their common failure to recognize the demarcation of the Torah as the Five Books of Moses a serious impediment to the practice of their faith? Can this syndrome be tenably viewed as one of willful ignorance, or of remnant antisemitism?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 33:00) Similarly, how have many professed believers failed to take seriously the imperative of Jeremiah 1:10 to “root out and to pull down” corruption in Judeo-Christian culture? Has this been a function of cynical and mercenary figures within the clergy who fear losing illicit profits, or of the lingering stereotype of this eloquent prophet as histrionic and melodramatic?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 39:00) Why has the maintenance of faith life continued to be difficult for believers who are confronted with accusations of being “legalistic” or “judgemental” in the mere practice of their worship, despite our constitutional right of religious freedom? How has the notion of obedience become so politicized over recent decades as to give rise to an organization such as the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF)?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 43:00) Similarly, how has the principle of altruism – a fundamental tenet of all designations of Christianity – also become finessed and even redefined in such a way to benefit those with self-interest? How does such a reductive and materialistic approach tend to distract the faithful from true empathy toward those who are less fortunate in such matters as health or persecution?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 47:00) How can the possibility of growing within one’s faith be viewed as arguably the greatest challenge posed by YeHoVaH to his creation? How does our free will, combined with our vulnerability toward sin, offer us the opportunity to worship and practice our faith, but also the bounden duty to exemplify that faith in our actions to such an extent that we achieve genuine spiritual formation rather than merely paying lip service to a poorly-understood creed?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 51:00) Apart from historical accuracy, why is it appropriate that Michael Rood should adopt the vestments of Mordecai in his teachings from Israel? How is this figure from the Book of Esther, who is largely unfamiliar to many evangelical Christians, uniquely poised to serve as an example of vindication of the Hebrews and of YeHoVaH’s providence for those who have yet to learn the significance of the Feast of Purim?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 53:00) Despite the politicization of public discourse regarding genocide – whether historically verified or feverishly imagined by members of the radical fringe – what are the plausible reasons for the upsurge in anti-Israel sentiment over the past decade? Are the Jews and their nation yet again in genuine danger of becoming the Western world’s scapegoats, or are we witnessing a decadent antisemitism that will soon lose expression?