EPISODE 1: Finding The Way
This week (Feb 24) on Shabbat Night Live, Luke and Kayte Abaffy had an awakening to the truth of the Torah, like many Christians. The difference was they made a documentary about their journey.
Today, they are taking the next step that they hope will spark a reformation in the hearts of believers worldwide.
Watch the episode — included on this blog post.
While you watch, consider the questions below. The timeline for each discussion topic in the video is noted on each question. Post your answers in the comments section, and let’s get some discussion going!
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 16:00) Aside from being a charming anecdote, how does the meeting between Luke and Katie demonstrate the providential nature of marriage for believers who view their futures as living apostolates? How is the will of YeHoVaH affected through the utilization of diverse talents and eccentric career paths in individuals who choose to devote their time and energy to evangelization?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 20:00) How does the controversy over the centrality of the Torah in Christian worship underscore the failure of many evangelical movements to recognize the integrity of the continuity between the Old and New Testaments? How does the casual distribution of the later, smaller collection of texts, both in public and private, damage the message of YeHoVaH through a glib campaign of an accessible “manual” for salvation?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 24:00) Similarly, how can some evangelical practices undermine the inherent challenges of following YeHoVaH through their over-promotion of divine forgiveness? How can the insidious influence of Satan be given an inroad into spiritual lives through a marginalization of sin as an ever-present danger for believers, one that hearkens back to his disingenuous words to Eve in the book of Genesis?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 28:00) How do personal testimonies like those recounted here – particularly those involving dreams which suggest private revelations – dramatize the importance and challenge of discernment for believers? How does the often-frustrating delay of answered prayers provide a corrective for short-sighted and self-serving interpretations that could lead to choices that conflict with the will of YeHoVaH?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 321:00) How is the contemporary opportunity of evangelizing through media both spiritually remunerative and fraught with dangers? As feature films, documentaries, and online programs proliferate, how can these efforts of the faithful avoid becoming overwhelmed by competition, dismissed as propaganda, or increasingly vulnerable to the aggression of hostile individuals or corporate bodies who would destroy their works outright?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 36:00) How have endeavors like Kickstarter and GoFundMe served to redefine the advocacy of faith-based media and public awareness? How does the notion of corporate benefit and crowdfunding provide not only an outlet for evangelization, but also subvert those efforts on the radical Left to politicize such efforts through accusations of fascism or through such organizations as the Freedom From Religion Foundation?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 40:00) How do the myriad obstacles and frustrations involved in realizing a project like this one, such as funding difficulties, technical malfunctions, and administrative delays, all demonstrate the need for perseverance by believers who seek to spread the word of YeHoVaH? How does the frisson between intention and completion serve to deepen the faith of those involved, both before and behind the camera?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 44:00) How does a production like The Way underscore the dilemma currently experienced by many throughout the Christian world over major denominations, religious leaders, and self-styled “faithful” public figures who seek to rationalize disobedience or normalize transgressive conduct? How has the suggestion of following the example of Yeshua as well as accepting his identity as the Messiah become such a radical notion in our present day?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 48:00) Similarly, how does the concept of private revelation serve to undermine popular efforts to denigrate religious practice among individuals in an epoch of socioeconomic materialism? How does the divine impetus toward conversion, seemingly conveyed at random throughout a diverse population of those willing to consider such a gesture, consistently subvert those organized human efforts to eradicate religious belief from society?
- (VIDEO TIMELINE: 52:00) How does the notion of syncretism pose a challenge for today’s faithful who seek a bonafide practice of genuine spiritual doctrine? How should believers attempt to discern between contemporary examples of cultural assimilation of pagan belief or practice that suggest possible gateways for demonic influence, and more benign examples of intellectual history in relation to the growth of Western Judeo-Christian culture?
Add a Comment